Call for papers
MultiMeDialecTranslation 8 – Dialect Translation in Multimedia
7-9 May 2020, Kaunas Faculty of Vilnius University, Lithuania
We are pleased to invite you to the 8th International Conference on Dialect translation in multimedia (MultiMeDialecTranslation 8) which will be held on 7-9 May 2020 at the Institute of Language, Literature and Translation Studies, Kaunas Faculty of Vilnius University.
MultiMeDialecTranslation 8 is an interdisciplinary conference, operating at the interface of linguistics, media, communication, and translation studies. It is aimed at colleagues from both academic research and teaching as well as practitioners of translation. Founded in 2002 as a conference for investigating the interlingual translation of dialects in “multimedia” with film subtitling as a typical example, the conference has expanded its range of topics to other polysemiotic configurations (e.g. theatre, opera, comic) as well as to other non-standard varieties and to intralingual translation.
This year, we will also discuss the rendering of language varieties with regard to media accessibility, i.e. audio description and subtitles for deaf and hard of hearing as well as to video game localization.
Relevant topic areas of the conference include, but are not limited to:
- audio-visual translation of language varieties (dubbing, subtitling, voice-over),
- dialect translation of language varieties in the context of minority languages and regional languages,
- translation of language varieties on stage (theatre, opera, songs, comedy shows, stand-up comedy),
- translation of language varieties in comics and graphic novels,
- translation of language varieties in audio description and subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing,
- rendering of language varieties in video game localization,
- translation of culture specific items in audiovisual production,
- features of amateur translation of audiovisual content,
- translation of language varieties and diglossia,
- polysemiotic translation of language varieties and foreign language teaching.
- Łukasz Bogucki, University of Łódź (Poland) A Relevance-Theoretic Approach to Decision-Making in Subtitling
- Luc van Doorslaer, University of Tartu (Estonia), KU Leuven (Belgium), Stellenbosch University (South Africa) Translation Studies Unlimited: The Challenges of Transmediality and Transdisciplinarity
- Frans L. M. P. Hinskens, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen (Netherlands) Old Dialects and New Technology. Can They Learn from Each Other?
- Danguolė Mikulėnienė, Daiva Aliūkaitė, Vilnius University (Lithuania) The Translation of the Naive Estimator’s Narrative to the Dialectological Discourse: Bridging Diverse Perspectives
The conference languages are Lithuanian, English and German. We recommend parallel language use for giving papers and presentations, covering at least two of the conference languages, such as providing presentation slides in English accompanied by a spoken presentation in Lithuanian, or a handout in English accompanied by a spoken presentation in German.
Abstracts and Registration
We invite an abstract for your paper (20 minutes presentation plus 10 minutes
We invite an abstract for your paper (20 minutes presentation plus 10 minutes discussion) or a poster comprising 300–400 words excluding references. The submitted abstracts will be peer reviewed and published online on the conference website. The abstracts in one of the conference languages should be sent in no later than 31 October 2019. Notification of acceptance will be sent on 30 November 2019 at the latest.
Registration for participation without giving a paper will be open until 20 April 2020. Early bird registration expires on 29 February 2020.
Refund of the conference fee is possible until 20 April 2020, with an administrative charge of 20 €.
Please find the registration form here: https://forms.gle/ipEcmsb2WfNHk17W6
Early bird registration (from 1 January to 29 February 2020): 80 €
Regular conference fee (from 1 March to 20 April): 100 €
Reduced conference fee (for students): 50 €
Conference fee for participants without presentation: 20 €
All registered participants will receive certificates of attendance after the conference by email.
On Saturday, 9 May, there will be a full day excursion to the Open-Air Museum of Lithuania (http://www.llbm.lt/en/about-us/). Charges – 40 €, including lunch and coffee.
International Scientific Committee
Camilla Badstübner-Kizik, Poland
Klaus Geyer, Odense, Denmark
Irmeli Helin, Turku, Finland
Herta Maurer-Lausegger, Klagenfurt, Austria
Danguolė Satkauskaitė, Kaunas, Lithuania
Danguolė Satkauskaitė, Lina Abraitienė, Jurgita Astrauskienė, Skirmantė Biržietienė, Robertas Kudirka
Submission of abstracts: 31 October 2019
Notification of acceptance: 30 November 2019
Conference programme online (latest): 15 January 2020
Early bird registration: from 1 January to 29 February 2020
Registration from 1 March to 20 April
Conference: 7-9 May 2020 (9 May: an excursion day)
Danguolė Satkauskaitė, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use this form for registration: https://forms.gle/ipEcmsb2WfNHk17W6